:) I'm pretty lucky. :)
Don't have much time since this place closes in an hour, but just wanted to do another highlight post!
Saturday-Sunday:
Stayed with my godparents in New Hampshire....They're both super active and can out-run/walk/bike me any day of the week. So we did a TOOOON of walking. I loved being outside, taking pictures, exploring, and running from rabid dogs. haha AND my godmother is also italian, through and through.....so cooking is her passion. And I'm grateful to be a recipient of that passion. ;-P Everything is made from scratch and absolutely a sweet taste of heaven! So we ate a lot. :) And did some knitting. I'm determined to finish a scarf before this trip is over.
Monday:
My godmother loaded us up with cookies, tarts and homemade bread and we road-tripped it to Maine all day!! Stopped at Mt. Washington but the road was closed. So we just stopped to get groceries and set up camp at Blackwoods campground in Acadia NP at night. Sat around the fire for a bit and called it a night!
Tuesday:
So, my friend Emily is in school in British Columbia for outdoor stuff like this. She is a straight-up mountain woman!! I'm learning so much!! I kinda feel like city mouse around her, not gonna lie...haha
It's been rainy and cold the whole time we've been here...So I've drank(drunk?) my fill of hot chocolate. lol Just to have something warm in my hands and belly for a moment. :) Started the day of with toasted bagels, then hiked Cadillac Mountain, the highest in the park.
Fun fact---Apparently it's the first spot the sun hits in America when it rises! (We tried to test that this morning, but it was cold, rainy and 4:45 a.m.....sleep won out. lol)
Anywho, the hike was 8 miles roundtrip and so cool! It was mostly rock scrambling, with phenomenal views of the water on both sides.
Tuna melts for lunch, then headed to town in search of a warm, dry haven. Found nothing. haha So, the warm, dry haven became our trusty Toyota Highlander instead. :) Drove around the island and surrounding villages for a bit, then went back to camp and made English Muffin pizzas for dinner...Ended the night with some good Nertz competition. :) Right now I'm ahead, but not by much. :) It was so cold that I holed up inside my sleeping bag with a flashlight on my chest to read before bed. :)
Wednesday:
Cold and rainy again, so we slept in. No complaints here...better get sleep while I can! :) Egg sandwich bagels for breakfast, then we biked the 11-mile park loop. KILLER!!!! haha I hate to admit it, but I am soooooooo not in biking shape. lol There was no keeping up with Emily, so I just enjoyed the scenery, and every breath my lungs allowed. haha My right pant leg kept getting caught in the chain on my bike, so after the final 6-inch rip, I rolled up that pant leg. Felt pretty ghetto. :) Stopped by a spot on the coast called Thunder Hole where the sound of water meeting the rocks sounds freakishly like thunder. Pretty cool. :) Emily saw a bald eagle, but I was too busy huffing and puffing up the mountain to notice. haha
When we made it back to camp, it cleared up for a bit so we made some more hot chocolate and sat out on the rocks by the water and read/journaled for an hour or two till the sun was about to set. Went for a walk around the campground...I found a football, which kept me entertained for awhile. :) Guess that's the only child in me. lol
Made chicken, potatoes and onions for dinner....then popcorn....then smores. :) I could get used to this! It was still clear out, and the moon was almost full and sooooo bright, so we went back out to the water and sat on the rocks again. GORGEOUS!!! Breathtaking actually.
Today (Thursday):
So far, we slept in again because it was cold and rainy. CHOCOLATE CHIP PANCAKES for breakfast!!! AHH!! My favorite camp food! :) Delish. Then we headed here for coffee and warmth. Not sure what the rest of the day holds! :)
Each night we've been using a lantern. And the other night I was following Em to the bathroom as she was carrying the lantern. She's quite the speed walker so I had to pretty much run to keep up. But all I could think about (besides watching my step) was
"Thy Word is a Lamp unto my feet and a Light unto my path."
(Psalm 119:105)
I had to stay soooooo close to Emily if I wanted to see where I needed to take my next step. If I got too far away, I was just scrambling in the darkness trying to find my way unsuccesfully. Yet, even when I was close by her, following the guidance of her light, I still could only see one or two steps ahead. Not the entire path; just one step at a time....Great lesson for me, and exactly what I needed....

No comments:
Post a Comment